Rediscovering God in America

Rediscovering God in America is a very good resource for anyone wanting a broad overview of America's connection to God, as demonstrated by America's founding fathers and other American leaders throughout time.

The book was smaller than I had expected it to be. I also expected more pictures to be included. Unfortunately, there are only a few pictures at most contained within each chapter, and as I found myself reading the text, on several occasions I wondered why an accompanying photo was not included. Since this book was described as a walking tour I expected photos of the monuments, statues, inscriptions, and artwork. There are some photos, just not enough.

Since my family is planning a trip to the Smithsonian this summer, this was a perfect read to get educated on the various Washington D.C. monuments and their meanings, as well as how these fit into our faith and the faith of our founding fathers. I really learned so much in this book, far more than I had ever learned in school and it renewed my interest in American history. The writing is engaging yet succinct.

I recommend this book to home schoolers, people planning a trip to Washington, D.C., as well as anyone interested in United States history. Be prepared to use the Internet as a resource though for additional pictures.

I would also love to see a children's edition of this book. I was able to read it and then talk to my children about the meanings of the speeches, documents, quotes, monuments, and statues mentioned within. A book written on a children's level would have been better though.

I received this book from the Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers program.

Reviewed by Mom

0 comments: