The Jesus Book by Stephen Elkins

My review:

I'm in third grade and I really loved this book. It's the first book I've seen that only talks about Jesus. I learned so much from reading this book and I plan on reading it over and over until I can remember everything about Jesus. My friends also like it, but the CD is not good for older kids. The pictures are very colorful so kids who don't read yet will be able to look at the pictures while their moms read to them. I love it!

Mom's Review:
I was recently taking my daughter and her friend for ice cream and in the car my daughters friend asked her when she was going to have first communion. How do I explain to the little girl the difference between being a Catholic and being a Baptist? I decided to go a different route and explain what our churches have in common. This book was very helpful for the girls to explore the beliefs they had in common.

As soon as we got home my daughter ran to her room to get this book and the girls read it. It was a nice way to bring them together despite the fact they attend different churches.

If you'd like to teach your child about Jesus, this is one of the best books I've seen on the subject. This 96 page book has the following sections:

Who Jesus Is
What Jesus Did
What Jesus Taught
When It Happened
Where It Happened
Why It Happened
How It Happened

The book is written at a 2nd/3rd grade level, but I would not hesitate as a parent to introduce this book to children in Kindergarten all the way up to 4th grade.

As usual with these kind of books, I was less impressed with the CD, but I do think preschoolers would enjoy listening to it.

Scripture references are at the top of each story, so if your older child is looking for more in-depth stories, they can read them right from the bible as well as the condensed version presented in this book.

This hardcover book is very sturdy and smaller than normal so it's perfect for children to hold.

An extended 19-page preview can be found at the following link so you can guage for yourself whether or not this is age appropriate for your child.

http://tinyurl.com/TheJesusBook

0 comments: